Monday, September 11, 2023

Building community

What does it mean to be in community? 

For me - it means finding a group of people to enjoy things with- to share stories, coffee, games, and dreams together. To share random comments and larger thoughts. People with whom you can make mistakes and still have their support.

It took me several years to form a community in the Pacific Northwest. It was hard to leave - even if it is just temporarily. I came to Qatar knowing no one - and not having a community. The only connections I had were through Fulbright or someone who knew someone here. I developed WhatsApp groups with other scholars in the region - but I have not met any of them in person (yet). 

Before I came, I talked to many former scholars and faculty from Qatar University. One thing they mentioned was how supportive the faculty were here. When I asked former Fulbright Scholars to share their experiences with faculty, their voice took on a very sing song quality, like the same dreamy quality I develop when I discuss my dear friends from graduate school (the same friend group where I met my spouse). Others develop this quality when sharing about their old childhood friends, or their long lost love.

One of my biggest regrets from my first Fulbright was choosing to stay in my room over meeting other people. Even though- I lived in a dorm with a shared bathroom and shared kitchen - I spent the first month hiding in my room watching TV shows. 

Here, I live in a private apartment - with a kitchen and bathroom all to myself. Additionally, it is crazy hot outside so it is hard to go and socialize with others. The temptation to stay inside - alone - is high. It is so much easier to just stay in my nice cool air conditioned home streaming English shows on my computer. Staying inside increases stress hormones - humans are not meant to be alone. So I remind myself to step outside and just try to connect. 

So I have started to find community. 

I am finding community with other new faculty. We went through orientation together - feeling bewildered at the firehose of information. Then there was the 5 hours spent taking health tests for the Qatari Residence ID...walking from building to building in the hot August sun. We shared WhatsApp numbers and swap resources for setting up Blackboard sites, navigating the new technology in the classroom, and codes for accessing the podiums.

In the classroom, I discovered that I share a hallway with some excellent friendly colleagues in chemistry and math. And my office is just around the hall from the Chemistry student lounge - where many faculty host their office hours in the Women's building - and down the hall from the Math Faculty lounge - stocked with TWO espresso makers and frequently filled with treats. 

Colleagues like Zarina and E. meet for coffee - sharing a cup of coffee as we share stories of students and our lives in our different home countries (we all come from different continents: North America, Central Asia, and North Africa). 


Another colleague -S. meets up for late night tea and chats - letting me borrow her balcony so I can dry my sheets (the washer/dryer combo) gives more the essence drying rather than actually dry clothes. She lived in Doha before so she knows several great spots to find tea and pastries!


Then there are the chemistry colleagues who are generous with their time when I have sooo many questions. They ask me to call when I need rides places and bring yummy treats to enjoy (over coffee of course!) They keep telling me of the multiple Fulbrights who came Qatar for one year - and then decided to call QU their home. 

And then there are the surprising reconnections - finding out that Lindsey from KY is staying in Qatar as well - and we get to explore a new country and food while reminiscing about our shared childhood experiences (growing up as PKs and knowing the same people!)



So, while it has only been three weeks - I'm starting to find people to share experiences with and share coffee. 

Speaking of connections - a special guest from home arrives in three days! I can't wait to explore more of the city with him - and introduce him to the new communities I'm finding.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Time Shift

I experience time differently in Qatar. First, there is the time shift. Qatar is 11 hours ahead of Seattle time. I am on the almost exact op...