Friday, August 18, 2023

Goodbyes are hard, see you laters are much easier

Goodbyes are hard, see you laters are much easier. 

The past week has been filled with see you laters. I originally planned to fly out on August 15 but a yucky case of shingles led me to postpone my trip until August 18. On a sunny note, I got a bonus 3 days to spend with friends and my spouse, which I filled with coffee dates, happy hours, walks, lake swims, and movies. This came with a cost, I've been saying goodbye for two weeks. 

It started with goodbyes to my office and work colleagues. Setting up my office for a lengthy sabbatical. 

Then I said goodbye to my campus (and my glorious 8 mile commute along a river!)


Then my friends D and R hosted a bon voyage party where my friends crafted lovely Mad Libs about my journey - it features a lot of POGIL :-)


Then I spent the week visiting the garden with my husband (while seeing a hot air balloon along the way!)



Walking through woodland parks with colleague and friend E.G - where we spotted a woodpecker!


Happy hour with friends on capital hill, early morning coffee dates (trying to adjust time zones), and beach swims in the lake with G.F. 
For each of these events and friends, the parting process led to hugs, tears, and see you soon. Goodbye seems so final, see you soon means that we will see each other again. Soon is relative here, its 5 months away (at least)...and for Seattle summers, 1 year away). 

While I travel a lot (three years Alaska MVP Gold!), its ussually short hops to see family or close colleagues, And my husband usually travels with me. 

This is different. Last time I knew the country, language, and even the residence hall I would stay in which allowed me to plan ahead. This time, I don't even know if I'm staying in an apartment or house! (I have a building number but that's all I know). This time, I'm on my own, going to a place I've never been to, living in a culture that I have no experience with and a language that I can barely speak, working with colleagues I've never met before.

This time though, is also different because I'm coming back to the same place and same job. I have a stronger support network of friends, colleagues, and family who took the time to visit - making it clear that I will be missed (as they will also be missed). 

This is an irony of friendship, the closer you become to your friends, the more supported you feel, which makes you feel braver about doing hard things. I'm struggling to leave this time because I am moving away from an incredible support network - and this support network gives me the confidence to leave. 

As my friend G.F. said in a text this morning as I left for the airport. 

"Life begins at the edge of your comfort zone"  

Leaving friends and family for the time is pushing me outside of my comfortable PNW life and it is helping me grow. 

So as I embark on the journey, See you soon and THANK YOU for the support!




No comments:

Post a Comment

The Time Shift

I experience time differently in Qatar. First, there is the time shift. Qatar is 11 hours ahead of Seattle time. I am on the almost exact op...